It’s no secret that some household pests carry with them a number of unpleasant diseases that could put and your family at risk. Sometimes it’s not household pests that carry these diseases, it’s household pets. These diseases range anywhere from mild diarrhea to possible death. For this reason, it’s important to fortify your home against possible invaders and, if one of the many West Palm disease-carrying pests have infested your home, call the West Palm Beach pest control experts at Empire Pest Defense to ensure the job is done right.

Ticks and Lyme Disease

Lyme Disease is an infectious disease spread by deer ticks. While the ticks tend to get all the blame for spreading the bacteria that causes the disease, household pets should get at least some of the blame. They have a tendency to spread the ticks. Those who live in suburbs or country need to take extra caution here since the ticks that cause Lyme disease are small and easy to miss.

According to the CDC, symptoms of Lyme disease include fever, fatigue, and a characteristic rash that forms around the tick bite. While Lyme disease is treatable, it can cause permanent neurological damage if it is left untreated for any extent of time.

Rodents and Hantavirus / Seoul Virus

One reason you do not want mice infesting your house is due to the hantavirus. This virus is indigenous to the south-eastern part of the United States, so West Palm Beach residents will need to take care. Hantavirus is spread through the urine and feces of infected rodents. If left untreated, the hantavirus can progress to a hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome. If hemorrhagic fever sounds familiar, it’s likely because you’ve heard it mentioned in relation to the Ebola virus.

Mosquitoes and Malaria

Mosquitoes are not just tiny blood-sucking vampires, they are also disease-spreading vermin. If you think that malaria only happens in places like India or Africa, think again. According to the CDC, over there are over 1700 documented cases of malaria in the United States each year.

Malaria is caused by a tiny parasite but the symptoms mimic those of the common flu. Fever, chills, nausea, vomiting, aches and pains, and a general feeling of malaise are common. However, since malaria occurs so infrequently in the U.S. compared to the flu, the tendency is to leave it untreated. The longer the disease persists, the more likely it will become deadly.

Mosquitos and West Nile Virus

Malaria isn’t the only disease that mosquitoes cause. They also cause West Nile virus (also known as West Nile Fever). About 80% of those who contract the illness never experience symptoms. But the other 20% may experience a fever and other flu-like symptoms. In addition, 1 out of every 150 people develops a severe condition from the disease which is sometimes fatal. There are no vaccines or treatments for West Nile Virus.

Contact a West Palm Beach Pest Exterminator Today

Empire Pest Defense can help protect you from a number of common household infestations that may put you and your family at risk. Please give us a call or contact us online to set up an appointment.