Nobody wants termites in their home. Termites destroy wood and drywall and once they’re in your home, they can be difficult to exterminate. At Empire Pest Defense, termite extermination is one of the many things we do. We are an experienced West Palm Beach pest control company equipped to get rid of any pest infestation you face and prevent future pest flare-ups.
Take some time to educate yourself about termites, the damage they cause, and what termite extermination entails. If you have more questions for us, don’t hesitate to give us a call.
Why Termites are So Detrimental
Termites eat dead plant matter. That includes wood, which makes your home a very attractive feeding ground for termites. Anything that contains cellulose, a compound found in plant cells, is edible to termites.
When termites enter your home, they burrow through wood and drywall as they eat them. Over time, this can compromise your home’s structure, possibly costing you tens of thousands of dollars to repair. Certain species of termites live underground. Others build their nests in the wood they’re eating as they move through it. Know the signs of each type of termite infestation so you can be proactive and respond promptly.
How to Recognize Termite Damage Early On
It’s easier to recognize the signs of a drywood termite infestation early on than it is to recognize a subterranean termite infestation. Signs of a drywood termite infestation include:
- Mud tubes. These are the tubes that termites bore through wood. You can see them on wooden baseboards, window sills and furniture that have been infested. Mud tubes appear close to the wood’s grain;
- Wings from swarmers. Swarmers are flying termites that leave at-capacity colonies to seek out new territory;
- A moldy or mildewy scent;
- Swollen floors that appear to be water damaged;
- Wood that sounds hollow when tapped; and
- Termite droppings.
If you’re ever not sure if damage in your home was caused by termites, have an experienced termite exterminator come check it out.
The Termite Extermination Process
There are a few different ways to exterminate termites. They include:
- Baiting termites with traps. This method exterminates termites currently living in your home and on your property;
- Applying insecticide to the soil around the home. With this method, the exterminator digs a trench around the home and applies insecticide to it, creating a barrier that kills termites that come close; and
- Insecticides in the home. With this method, the exterminator uses insecticide on the wood inside the home to stop termite infestations that are already underway.
Your exterminator might use two or more of these methods to control and exterminate the termites in your home.
Work with an Experienced West Palm Beach Pest Control Company
When you’re facing a termite infestation, call an experienced exterminator to fix the problem. Contact our team at Empire Pest Control today to set up your extermination consultation with our West Palm Beach pest control professionals.