Anyone who has ever faced a rodent problem in West Palm Beach knows these pests are better avoided in the first place. Rodents are dangerous pests and challenging to eliminate once they have gained a foothold in your home. Here's what you need to know about the signs of house rodents, the health risks that come with rodent infestations, tips and tricks to deter local rodents, and the safest way to get rid of rodents with West Palm Beach pest control.
Signs Of Rodents In Your Home
Mice and rats are the most common home-invading rodents in Florida, and they are both nocturnal pests that are challenging to spot. These rodents are well adapted to living in the shadows of our homes and staying out of view. To catch a rodent infestation before it gets out of hand, you'll need to watch for signs beyond the rodents themselves.
Signs of rodents in your home can include:
- Droppings – These are especially likely to be found in areas where rodents are hiding, such as attics and storage areas or around cabinets and other food sources.
- Gnaw Marks – All rodents chew on virtually anything to keep their teeth from overgrowing. When rodents are inside your home, you are likely to begin to see chew marks on various items.
- Contaminated Food – One likely place to find evidence of chewing is on food packaging.
- Nesting Material – Both mice and rats will build nests out of found materials in your home. If you find a collection of torn-up paper or insulation, you've likely found a rodent nest.
Any of these signs above is a signal that it's time to get serious about pest control in West Palm Beach.
Health Risks Of Untreated Rodent Infestations
Rodents are associated with a number of health risks. The diseases rats and mice carry include hantavirus, leptospirosis, tularemia, salmonellosis, and rat-bite fever. All rodents carry some risk of illness, and in addition, they contaminate food and often carry parasites like fleas and ticks that often spread to families and pets in infested homes. Not to mention the allergies that rodents can trigger as well as the concern around urine and feces accumulating in hard-to-clean areas of your home.
Tips And Tricks To Deter Unwanted Rodents
So you want to get rid of rats and mice, or even better, prevent them in the first place. What's the best way to keep these rodents out? Fortunately, the steps are pretty simple – eliminate sources of food, water, and shelter. Unfortunately, this is easier said than done. Keep rodents out of your home with the following tips:
- Store food in airtight containers.
- Cover both indoor and outdoor trash and empty it regularly.
- Keep floors and counters clean.
- Fix leaky plumbing.
- Maintain drainage.
- Use dehumidifiers in poorly ventilated areas.
- Seal cracks and crevices in your home's exterior walls.
- Install weatherstripping and door sweeps.
- Eliminate both indoor and outdoor clutter.
The best way to prevent rodents around your West Palm Beach home is to restrict the factors that attract them and limit access indoors. However, if rodents have already made it inside, you may need more comprehensive pest control measures.
The Safest Way To Get Rid Of Rodents In West Palm Beach
The safest and most effective way to get rid of rodents in West Palm Beach is with the help of Empire Pest Defense. We provide services to eliminate rodent populations, repair the damage they leave behind, and prevent them from returning. Keep your home and your family and pets safe from rodents with professional help from Empire Pest Defense. Call today to schedule your no-obligation inspection and find out more about our rodent control options.