Have you ever come home when it was dark out, fumbled to switch on your kitchen light, only to see cockroaches scurrying under your appliances? If so, it's time to seek professional help. Not only are cockroach infestations just plain disgusting, but they can also pose a serious threat to your health and well-being. Read on to learn about the different types of cockroaches and how professional pest control in West Palm Beach can help your home be pest-free today.
The Different Types Of Cockroaches Invading West Palm Beach Homes
Here in West Palm Beach, there are several types of cockroaches that are likely to invade local homes. However, there are two common species we deal with regularly.
The first type is the German cockroach. It is typically tan or light brown, with horizontal white stripes. This species also has wings but rarely uses them to fly. You'll most likely find them hanging out in your pantry and squeezing into the tight spaces of your home.
Growing up to three inches long, the American cockroach is the largest species. Both males and females have wings, allowing them to travel through your home easily. This kind of roach loves the warm, humid climate that West Palm Beach offers, making your homes and businesses especially vulnerable to an infestation.
Regardless of what type of cockroach you have invading your home, all cockroaches love human food, making any home a target, not just dirty homes.
Cockroach Infestations Can Be Dangerous
One of the most important reasons professional pest control in West Palm Beach is essential for homeowners is because cockroaches can be extremely dangerous. These nasty insects can make you extremely ill because they carry over 60 pathogenic bacteria, fungi, molds, parasitic worms, and viruses (including listeria, E. coli, and salmonella). They also cause allergic reactions in children. Because professionals have the advanced tools needed to exterminate them and the personal protective equipment required to protect themselves, it is crucial you seek expert help to eradicate cockroach infestations.
Six Useful Cockroach Prevention Tips
While a professional is needed to exterminate an existing infestation, there are some things you can do now to help prevent them.
Below are six roach prevention tips:
- Seal up your house: Go around your home and look for any holes. No matter how small they are, seal them up.
- Organize your storage areas: Start organizing your material items. Clear out the clutter and position things so that the hiding spots cockroaches love are no longer available, as it makes the place less appealing.
- Properly store your food: Make sure the food in your cupboards is in sealed containers.
- Take out the garbage: Do this frequently, preferably before it starts to smell or overflow.
- Vacuum regularly: Cockroaches are nocturnal and typically come out when it's dark. If you vacuum during this time, you can suck up any individual insects.
- Clean up food messes: Thoroughly clean any food or drink messes as soon as they happen, and sanitize your eating spaces after every meal.
Ultimately, what attracts cockroaches is food. By eliminating this key lure, you make your home less appealing to these terrible pests, and they are then less likely to invade.
Total Cockroach Control For West Palm Beach Residents
Empire Pest Defense has served the West Palm Beach area and its residents since 2006. Armed with advanced tools and skills needed to exterminate cockroach infestations safely, effectively, permanently, and in their entirety, we believe in our 100% customer satisfaction guarantee. If cockroaches have invaded your home, don't waste your money trying over-the-counter products and potentially putting your and your family's health at risk; call the expert technicians here at Empire Pest Defense!