Mosquitoes are persistent pests. They will swarm around you until they can get to your skin and bite you. The bugs want to suck your blood. It doesn’t take long for them to find you once you step outdoors. If you don’t physically see them, proof of their presence will be visible. You’ll have red and itchy bumps on your arms, legs, and elsewhere.
There’s a high probability of disease transmission with mosquitoes because they flutter from animals to humans. Given this, health professionals state that they are the most medically dangerous in the world. Due to their natural habitat, it’s not easy to prevent them. Find out what the best options are and how Empire Pest Defense can help control mosquitoes in West Palm Beach, FL.
How Do Mosquitoes Function? What Are the Risks?
“Little fly” is what the word mosquito translates to. These flying pests are a dainty 0.12 to 0.35 of an inch long. Their bodies are scaly and feature a pair of wings, very thin legs, and a pronounced nose. Blood is essential to their egg production, so it’s no surprise the females want to nibble on any flesh in view. Water is also central to their survival. This explains why they huddle around standing pools of it. Organisms are pulled from it by larvae. Last, but not least, mosquitoes feed on nectar. You must be prepared to battle these insects if your home or business is in proximity to a body of water or greenery, such as a swamp, lake, or garden. Approximately, 3,500 species are on the planet.
Open doors and windows and crevices in foundations are what mosquitoes use to enter properties. Quiet and dim areas with a point of moisture are where they will go. Common places are basements, laundry rooms, and closets. If you have recurring welts on your skin or catch these bugs hanging around, you probably have an infestation. You should know the following about some of the major diseases mosquitoes distribute:
- Zika virus causes 5% of infants to have birth defects.
- Chikungunya disease is incurable and cultivates fever and joint pain.
- Dengue triggers rashes, nausea, and fever.
- Malaria symptoms include sweating and chills.
- West Nile virus patients are asymptomatic 80% of the time and may suffer from fatal neurological responses.
- Yellow Fever will bring about critical liver, kidney, and heart issues.
How Can You Prevent Mosquitoes?
The first step in deterring mosquitoes is honing your exterior management routines. Also, it can be useful to be more strategic with what you consume and wear. Believe it or not, you can attract these critters to you without realizing it by:
- Burning essential oil candles that contain elements like lavender and cedarwood.
- Laying mosquito traps and cleaning them regularly.
- Draining swimming areas and drying pet drinking bowls to decrease standing water.
- Mowing the lawn and trimming greenery frequently.
- Getting organic debris off of the yard.
- Washing out your gutters often.
- Picking bright colors to wear; mosquitoes struggle to see light shades. Avoid darker tones, such as blue and black.
- Be mindful when you have alcoholic beverages. The content’s odor can emit through your pores and draw mosquitoes.
What Can Empire Pest Defense Do About Mosquitoes?
Independent tactics to control mosquitoes are usually only mildly effective. A prime example is how the flames of candles and torches generate magnetizing gases. Retail insecticides can be woefully weak, or potent enough to harm people, pets, or vegetation. For a home pest control that is both effective and safe, contact us at Empire Pest Defense. Our experienced technicians will properly apply industrial-grade treatments designed to address mosquitoes and their breeding sites. Call today for a no-obligation inspection!