Wasps are notorious for putting a damper on any outdoor event, sending everyone running for cover, and in West Palm Beach, running for cover is a regular occurrence for many residents. The good news is that it doesn't have to be.
There is indeed a way to enjoy your home without running for cover every five minutes. A simple call to your local West Palm Beach pest control professionals will restore order to your home.
What Do Wasps Look Like?
The physical features and characteristics of wasps in the West Palm Beach area vary because there are quite a few species of wasps native to this area:
- Yellow jackets have hairless, segmented bodies with thin waists and elongated wings. Black and yellow markings cover their face and head, while their segmented bodies have black and yellow horizontal stripes.
- Hornets have a sturdy physique with a light yellow or black and white body. They grow to around 3/4 of an inch long.
- Paper wasps are usually brown with yellow markings but may also have red stripes. They can grow to between 3/4 and 1 inch long. These stinging insects have six legs and true antennae.
As you're running in a panic because one of these critters has taken a liking to you, you're not going to be thinking about wasp identification while it's coming at you! It's instances like this that happen all the time. With us, you'll get proper wasp removal for your West Palm Beach home.
How Dangerous Are Wasps?
Wasps are most definitely a nuisance and can cause anxiety, whether indoors or outdoors. Typically, wasps only attack when their nests are disturbed, but they will also attack when they deem you a threat. For example, frantically swatting at them can cause them to sting.
Once a wasp stings you, it can cause excruciating pain and swelling. In addition, if you have serious allergic reactions to bee stings, it can send you into anaphylactic shock, causing symptoms like severe swelling of the throat, face, and lips, nausea, dizziness, lightheadedness, and difficulty breathing.
According to the CDC, from 2000 to 2017, there were a total of 1,109 deaths from hornet, wasp, and bee stings. If you see wasps or wasps nests in or around your West Palm Beach home, contact Empire Pest Defense for safe and effective wasp removal.
Natural Wasp Prevention Tips
One of the ways to keep wasps away from your home starts with preventive action. Of course, if you have wasps on your property, only pros should remove them, but once gone from your property, you can help keep them away with these preventive measures.
- Seal points of entry.
- Avoid sweet-smelling or floral-scented perfumes.
- Properly discard leftover food.
- Place wasp traps or fake wasp nests around the perimeter of your house.
- Place repellent herbs and plants around your home.
- Avoid bright or floral-colored clothing.
- Avoid swatting or killing wasps.
These tips are natural ways to prevent and deter wasps from your home. Once you've had proper wasp removal, following any of these tips will indeed be the best way to keep wasps away.
The Safest Form Of Wasp Control
The safest and only form of wasp control in West Palm Beach is professional residential services. Leave the cans of wasp spray alone, as any disturbance of their nests will cause them to attack. We have all the proper tools, gear, and equipment to safely and effectively remove wasps and their nests. Give Empire Pest Defense a call for wasp removal before your wasp issue gets out of control.