The last thing a homeowner wants to lay their eyes on is a flurry of cockroaches scurrying out of sight as the lights get turned on. The warm and winterless climate we've come to enjoy in Florida creates a perfect environment for cockroaches to thrive.
They reproduce with amazing speed, spread dangerous and easily transferable diseases, and once they settle into your home, make getting rid of an infestation is a monumental undertaking.
Let's take a look at the signs of a cockroach infestation, learn how to keep cockroaches away, and, if that fails, how to find quality pest control in West Palm Beach.
Sure Signs You Have A Cockroach Infestation
Cockroaches are nocturnal, shy creatures, and sometimes spotting signs of a cockroach infestation is not an easy task.
Watch for the following clues to determine if you have a cockroach problem to deal with:
- Live cockroaches: Cockroaches are great at staying out of sight, so If you find a cockroach in your house, you have a sizable colony infesting your property.
- Droppings: Cockroach droppings look like coffee grounds and are a sure sign you have an infestation.
- Cockroach eggs in your house: A cockroach female will lay 30-40 eggs inside a 6-8 millimeter-long brown or mahogany capsule.
Seeing these signs usually means that the colony has grown large enough that cockroaches have to start venturing out and looking for food. At this point, you're not dealing with just a few bugs; you have an infestation on your hands!
Cockroaches In Your Home Is A Major Health Concern
Cockroaches are not just a gross inconvenience; their droppings contaminate our food and any surface they come in contact with.
They carry multiple transferable diseases and can present a serious threat to your health. Some of the pathogens they carry are:
- Typhoid fever
Understanding the speed with which they spread and the dangers cockroaches present, it's important to recognize and eliminate a cockroach infestation in your West Palm Beach home as early as possible.
How And Why Cockroaches Find Their Way Into Your Home
Eliminating a full-blown cockroach infestation is not an easy task, so it pays to know a few cockroach facts to understand why cockroaches want to get into your house and how to deter cockroaches from doing just that.
Cockroaches in West Palm Beach will invade your house in search of food, water, and a comfortable place to establish a colony. They will eat just about anything; crumbs, sugary spills, cat food, dog food, anything they can get access to.
They prefer to hang out in dark and damp places, such as under the sinks and around the plumbing.
To stop the infestation before it starts, follow these simple guidelines:
- Declutter your house to eliminate places they can hide.
- Store food in sealed containers and clean up crumbs and spills immediately.
- Seal cracks in your exterior walls and the foundation.
- Fix leaky plumbing in your house; no access to water, no cockroaches.
- Clean and disinfect places they like to infest, like under the sink area, on a regular basis.
If prevention did not succeed and you're looking at a cockroach-infested house, it's time to get in touch with a professional.
Call The Pros To Completely Get Rid Of Roaches
A seasoned pest defense professional will use their years of experience to spot the early signs of an infestation, develop a plan to rid the house of live bugs, and sanitize the eggs to prevent the problem from reoccurring.
If your house has a cockroach problem, don't wait for the infestation to get out of control; get in touch with Empire Pest Defense professionals today to get started and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in West Palm Beach.